Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summer yumminess

With the kids home for a couple months, am I the only who feels like our summer lunches can get a little boring...I mean peanut butter and honey, mac and cheese, and chili cheese quesadillas can get old pretty fast.  That's why I love finding things kick it up a notch. 

The Pioneer Woman has forever changed my view of the grilled cheese.  She introduced this little baby into my life last year.

First time, I made it for dinner {just as the recipe instructed} on a hot evening and it went over well by all. It's all the comfort of grilled cheese with a whole lot more flavor....PW even calls it her favorite sandwich, if that tells you anything. ; )

RECIPE : 

  • 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard, to taste
  • 1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise, to taste
  • 1 whole Tomato
  • 1 whole Red Onion, Small
  • 2 slices Mild Cheddar
  • 1 can (4 Oz.) Whole Green Chilies
  • 2 slices Provolone
  • 2 slices Rye Bread
  • Butter
Mix the mustard and mayo and put on an inside piece  of the bread.  Layer all the veggies in between the provolone and butter the outsides.  {That's the short version, you can click over to her website once again for all the gorgeous pics.}

Since then, I'm not sure I've made it the same way twice....but it's always SO good.  We've even added ham to it and it's really good too....it makes the men in your life ok with having grilled cheese for dinner if you slap a piece of meat on it. :) I also almost like the diced green chilies better...partly because I always have them on hand and they also spread so easily.  If you have a can of Hatch green chilies...even better!  I've used all kinds of cheese and all kinds of bread....so don't be afraid if you don't have all the perfect ingredients, just put it together with what you have and like and I guarantee, you'll love it!

Happy summer cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment