Thursday, May 26, 2011

Memorial Day

I love Memorial Day...it's just an all-American day that signals that SUMMER IS HERE!!  Our weekend usually consists of get togethers with family and friends, swimming {now that we live in Texas} and lots of good food!

Here are a some great picks for your weekend events....


{{ smores in a jar } }

How cute are these???  I intended to make smores for some company we had this past week, but our wet firewood didn't allow that and I remembered running across this recipe.  I first saw on it over at How Sweet It Is, but I adapted it for 8 people and I wanted to use a cake mix.

- 1 Chocolate Cake mix {I actually used a yellow and added 1/4 cup of cocoa...would probably add a little more next time} & ingredients to make it as directed
- 1 1/2 sleeves of graham crackers, crushed
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup of butter
- bag of large marshmallows

DIRECTIONS : Crush graham crackers and add butter.  Line the bottom of greased mason jars with this mixture.  Mix cake as directed and then add it on top of the graham cracker "crust".  Fill a 9 x 13 with about an inch of water and then add the jars.  Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.  Pull them from the oven and fill with marshmallows and heat under BROILER for 2-3 minutes. 




{ { chicken cashew lettuce wraps } } 

This one I found off of Tasty Kitchen {recipe found here}, and we actually had it for dinner tonight...would've taken my own pic, but we ate them too fast. : )  These are so yummy....and perfect for summer.  They take no time to whip up and can be used as an appetizer or main meal {makes enough for probably 2 for a meal}. 



{ { Monterrey Jack Salsa } } 

I actually featured this recipe on this post, but it is even better with summer fresh veggies so I thought I'd mention it again.  I know it's an unusual concoction, but it is SO good!

- 2 tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 1 can sliced black olives
- 5 green onions
- 1-4 oz. can green chilies
- 1/4 c. cilantro
- 2 cups Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 cup italian dressing
 
DIRECTIONS : Mix all and store in fridge. 
 
 

{ { Blackberries with Sweet Cream } }

This recipe is from none other than The Pioneer Woman and she does not disappoint with this one.  We made this one last July and then I made a batch every week till summer was done....probably a good habit to start at the end of summer instead of the beginning because it isn't exactly fat-free. ; )  I'll let you check out all her pretty pictures to get the details on this one.

Well, that's it.  I'm sure I'll think of another favorite tomorrow, but I guess I'll have to save it for a Fourth of July post.  Hope y'all have a happy and safe weekend...and hopefully you'll try a new recipe for your friends and fam!  Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Yum! TFS, Shera. We sure wish we could see you guys. It would be fun to spend Memorial Day with you. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shera!!!! I will be making all of these for sure! Love the pioneer women she has the best stuff:) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, this was a fabulous post! I am so excited to try out the smores in a jar! Will let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shera! I am going to try the Monterrey Jack Salsa for our Memorial Day bash...thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo…Smores in a Jar! Gotta try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy cooking y'all! Hope everyone has a yummy and fun Memorial Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all amazing! I will be sharing a link with my readers tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete